Tuesday, October 1, 2019

4th Anniversary of Being on the Road

While I am on the topic of new experiences and getting outside my comfort zone, today marks the 4th anniversary of Deb, Pancho and Lefty, and I living full time on the road in our 5th wheel trailer. Neither of us were quite sure whether we would enjoy living the vagabond life. Well the answer is – WE DO.

Traveling the U.S. and Canada has taken us to places we have always wanted to see and places we didn’t know we always wanted to see.

Not being an outdoorsy person, I did not expect to love Yellowstone National Park and Glacier National Park. The inner 5th grade science geek in me got to see the tidal bore at the Bay of Fundy and rocket launches at Kennedy Space Center. Across the country, we have seen several exhibits of Dale Chihuly glassworks along with many buildings and homes designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. We have also visited quirky and offbeat museums, which may be my favorite part of this adventure. Who knew there was a museum dedicated to the homing pigeon, or to the banjo or to the umbrella cover? Along the way, I have had the chance to catch up with old friends from elementary school, high school and college. We have tasted wines from across the U.S. and Canada (Paso Robles is my favorite, and I am surprised how much I liked the New York Finger Lakes white wines). We have attended music festivals where our friends were performing and made many new music loving friends.

This year, we took the trailer by ferry to Newfoundland. For those of you who love hiking and rugged terrain, you must go. St. John is a lovely city – one which I could see staying for a while. I did not expect to enjoy the area as much as I did.

Another highlight of the year – seeing Cher the opening night of her residency in Las Vegas on our anniversary night. Great, great show. I was surprised there weren’t very many people in costume. Cher, Halloween, how could there not be costumes!?

For the next year, our itinerary consists of four parts. Returning to Texas for the Holidays, travel the Southeast U.S., return to the Kerrville Folk Festival to host New Folk, then head out the to Northwest. On the way to Texas, we will set up camp in Jersey City with a view of the Manhattan skyline, staying near Washington, D.C. planning to be super tourists, and spend Thanksgiving week in Nashville where we hope to catch up with any of our singer-songwriter friends.

For the Southeastern leg, we will stop in New Orleans to attend the Folk Alliance International conference where we hope to see many of our musician friend, then hang around another week to enjoy the city. After that we head down the Florida coast toward Key West, before beginning the trek back to Kerrville. After the Festival, we are off to the Pacific Northwest. If the RV park is still there, we want to attend the Canmore Folk Festival again. And we would like to spend more time on Vancouver Island, at least two weeks, if not a month. On the way back to Texas, we will stop in Portland, maybe Seattle, and Paso Robles.

One thing we will be doing is slowing down. We used to plan to spend no more than a week in one place, averaging about 4 days a stop. We didn’t want to miss anything. Our current plan is to spend a week to two weeks at each stop. Fewer stops, but more time to enjoy them.

In closing, I want to thank you for putting up with my over posting pictures of our stops. I appreciate you being allowing me to share our escapades with you.

To riff off the amazing Nick Lowe – I wish all of you “peace, love and understanding”.

Lindsey

No comments: