Thursday, August 31, 2017

How to Help Hurricane Harvey Relief Efforts

Being from Houston, I am pained by the devastation from Hurricane Harvey. Looking to help, I began gathering a list of organizations focused on the Hurricane Harvey relief efforts. Because I have seen numerous posts from people seeking similar information, I decided to post this list and share with anyone interested.

I will be updating this list over time. Currently, it focuses on the Houston metropolitan area. I plan to expand it to include the Rockport area, Beaumont/Orange area, and western Louisiana. Click on the underlined name to go to the related site.

While organizations like the American Red Cross and The Salvation Army are dong great work helping the victims of Hurricane Harvey, I have tried to focus on organizations based in the area. If you know of any groups in the area I have not listed, message me. 

Cash

It is counter intuitive, but cash donations may provide the greatest leverage for helping people. The reason is relief organizations can purchase goods in bulk at a discount. In addition, a nonprofit does not have to pay sales tax on items it purchases. There are many fine organizations working to assist with the Hurricane Harvey relief efforts. The following is a brief list of some of these organizations. 
Amazon Wish Lists

If you're like me, you prefer giving goods to specific organizations to help the victims of Hurricane Harvey. These are some of the Amazon wish lists I have identified:

No comments: